Muharram is the second holiest month of Muslims after Ramadan, its the first month of Islamic Lunar Calendar. The Battle of KarbalaÂÂ(October 10, 680 AD) took place on 10th of Muharram-ul-Haram.The battle took place between a small group of supporters and relatives of Muhammad’s grandson, Husayn ibn Ali, and a larger military detachment from the forces of Yazid I(YazÄ«d ibn Mu‘āwiya , commonly known as Yazid I, was the second caliph of the Umayyad caliphate. Yazid was the caliph as appointed by his father Muawiyah I and ruled for three years from 680 CE until his death in 683 CE.0
1st Muharram-ul-Haram
Youm-e-Shahadat of Ameer ul Momeeneen Hazrat Umar Farooq r.a.1st – Islamic New Year,Birth ; Hadrat Umar FarooqÂRadi Allahu anhu,Birth ; Hadrat Shahabuddin SuharwardiÂRadi Allahu anhu
The 2nd of Muharram
Arrival of Imam Hussain(a.s.) and his family and friends in Karbala,Pir Jamal Shah Bin MurtazaÂRadi Allahu anhu,Wissal Hadrat Khwaja Ma’roof Kirki, Baghdad Shareef,
The 3rd of Muharram 1435 AH
Start of the gathering of the army of Yazid
From the 3rd of Muharram troops of Umar ibn-e-Saad started gathering in Karbala to fight Imam Hussain(as) and his handful of companions on the direct orders and direction of Yazeed ibn-e-Muawiya. The troops came in large numbers and started settling around the river Euphrates (Nehr-e-Furat). Ibn-e-Ziyad continued sending troops from Kufa and some troops were also sent directly by Yazid from Syria. According to historical counts the total Yazid army was between 30,000 and 120,000 men. This strong army against a handful (between 72 and 200) people – including men and women – shows the level of fear that Yazeed and ibn-e-Ziyad had of Imam Hussain(as).
From the 3rd until the 7th of Muharram troops kept on arriving and the children of Imam Hussain’s(as) camp were frightened by the thunderous noise of the horses and soldiers. The womenfolk and children kept on asking on every arrival if they came as the helpers of Imam Hussain(as) and always the answer was a heartbreaking NO. This continuously added to the fright of children and womenfolk. Finally on the day of Ashura (10th Muharram), there arrived some help for Imam Hussain(as) as well – a group of 3 people – Hur, his son and his slave – and then an old and trusted friend of Imam Hussain(as) named Habib ibn-e-Mazahir(as). Although too little, but their arrival was so heartening for the women and children of the camp that they sent personal greetings and salutations to them and thanked them for coming to the help of the Imam and his family.
4th Muharram :
The Philosophy of Martyrdom of Imam Hussain [AS],Wissal Hadrat Khwaja Hassan BasriÂRadi Allahu anhu,
5th Muharram Hadrat Baba Fariduddin Ganj ShakarÂRadi Allahu anhu
6th of Muharram.
Today is remembered as the day of Hazrat Ali Asghar youngest son of Imam Hussain A.S. According to history books he was only six months old in Karbala. On the day of Ashura when everyone from companions and family of Imam Hussain A.S. martyred and he became the only male in his camp. He said in loud voice on the battle ground of Karbala is there anyone who can help me?? At that moment in his camp Hazrat Ali Asghar fell down from his Jhoola Imams wife Bibi Umme Laila called Imam to see him. When Imam came he said let me have him so I can ask the Yazeedis for some water to feed his thirst.
7th MuharramÂ
The seventh day of Muharram is a sad day because it’s the day that during Battle of Karbala. access to water was banned on Husayn by Yazid’s order.ÂOn the night before the battle, Husain gathered his men and told them that they were all free to leave the camp in the middle of the night, under cover of darkness, rather than face certain death if they stayed with him. None of Husain’s men wished to defect, however, some say that a group of soldiers did indeed leave the Imam and these soldiers late became a part of the 12ers denomination of the Shi’a sect otherwise known as Inthna Ashari. Husain and his followers held a vigil to pray all night.
8th Muharram
Wissal ; Hadrat Imam Zayn al-AbideenÂRadi Allahu anhuÂMedina Munawwara,ÂHadrat Mawlana Hashmat Ali Khan, Pilibit Shareef.
9th of Muharram
The ninth day of Muharram was the successive third day without water in Imam Husayn’s camp. The children, particularly, suffered greatly from the agony of thirst. Sukaynah (a.s.) the daughter of Imam Husayn (a.s.), who was a child then, later narrated, “By the nightfall of the ninth day, I and the other children in the camp were almost dying due to thirst. There was not a drop of water available. We went around to find out if any water is available. I found that my brother Ali al-Asghar, who was six months old, had turned pale and was crying incessantly due to lack of water and milk, as my mother’s breasts had dried up due to her not getting any food or water for the last three days. My aunt Zainab was unsuccessfully trying to console the infant. We were crying out aloud. My father’s companion Burair al-Hamadani, who happened to pass by our tents and see our plight, was greatly distressed.”
Muslims fast on 9th and 10th MuharramÂWhen the Prophet came to Medina, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of ‘Ashura’ (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: “This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah.” The Prophet said, “I am closer to Moses than they.” So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it. ” – Narrated by Ibn Abbas (Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith – 4.609)
While Prophet (PBUH) d fasting in this month, he believed the Muslims should fast on different days compared to the Jews. Addition to fasting on the 10th of Muharram, it was instructed to add another day to differ from the non-Muslims.
“Observe fasting on the day of ‘Ashura’, but differ from the Jews and fast one day before it and one day after it.” (Ahmad)
“We are to fast on two days: the 9th and 10th of Muharram to distinguish ourselves from the Jews.” – Ibn-e-Abbas. (At-Tirmithi)
10th Muharram
Allah Ta’ala Created the Heavens and Earth.
– On this Very Day would be the Day of Qiyyamah (Judgement).
– Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala gave his infinite blessings and bounties to many
of his Prophets and delivered them from the clutches of the
enemies
– Ship of Hadrat Noah alayhis ‘salam came to rest on Mount Al-Judi.
– Hadrat Ayyub (Alayhi Asallam) was delivered from distress.
– Hadrat Yunus (Alayhi Asallam) was cast onto the shore
after being swallowed by a fish for 40 days .
– Hadrat Moosa (Alayhi Asallam) got victory over the
Pharoah
– The Birth of Hadrat Ibrahim (Alayhi Asallam)
10th – Martyrdom of Imam Hussain Radi Allahu anhuat Karbala
10th – Hadrat Sayyadi Shah Barkatullah Ishki, Mahrehah Shareef
11th Muharram
Pir Rahmat Shah Saheb, Gojarkhan, Rawalpindi.
11th Muharram – Ghiyarwee Sharif ; Hadrat Shaykh Abd’al-Qadir al-Jilani Radi Allahu anhu
13th – Urs ; Mufti-e-Azam Had Mustafa Raza Khan Bareilly Sh.
19th – Wissal Hadrat Sayyad Ahmad al-Jilani, Baghdad Shareef
20th – Wissal ; Hadrat Bilal Radi Allahu anhu
20th – Wissal ; Hadrat Shah Waliyullah Dhelvi Radi Allahu anhu
21st – Wissal ; Mawlana Muhammad Nazir al-Akram Sahib Naeemi
21st – Urs ; Hadrat Zinda Pir,Ghamkhol Shareef,
25th – Birth ; Hadrat Imam Hassan Radi Allahu anhu
26th – Urs ; Hadrat Tajul Awliya, Baba Tajuddin, Nagpur Shareef
28th – Urs; Hadrat Makhdoom Ashraf Jahangir Radi Allahu anhu,Kicchocha Shareef